Monday, June 30, 2014

Attention Seeker - Obviously

I like attention.

I'm not sure any of you were aware of that. (Sarcasm)

But really, I like attention. A lot. I like having someone to talk to and lean on when I need them but I'm not always available to others. I like to remain guarded, however, I let too much sit on the table too early. I want someone to listen to my woes and problems, but I am really terrible at reciprocating that. I'm not a great listener. I cannot stand to be ignored, but I will ignore the shit out of you.

I think I am ready to admit something to myself and all (20) of you. I am terrified of commitment. I can't commit my heart to one single person. I cheated once. On my very first 'boyfriend' and I always felt terrible about it and it's always been something that I think about a lot. We weren't even very serious and we were really young. But what happened, happened. I guess I technically cheated on my last boyfriend, too. Does it really count though when we were actually just in a long drawn out breakup process anyways? I knew we were done. He knew we were done. We were just waiting for the 'divide up all of our shit' day and that time was still months away. It was shortly after he told me he wanted to rejoin his faith. Which was LDS. I told him from the get go that I would literally never be a part of that. It just wasn't going to happen.

I just went off on a rather pointless tangent there. My point actually is this: I really think I want love and I'm ready TO love, however, I have not a single clue as to what that actually is. Thinking long term with anyone is terrifying. What if plans with the boyfriend/husband interferes or takes me away from friends and family? Granted, I'm moving across the country 35 hours away from most of my friends and family, however, I could not imagine going to anyone else's family home for Christmases or Thanksgivings. Or what if I end up with one of those people (again) that no one in the family actually likes and it makes holidays super awkward?

These are the things I always hold in the back of my head. A lot of these things I've never said out loud. Actually, I've never admitted them to myself really. Not in the official sense. I seem to find people who can give me plenty of attention, but actually letting my heart love them is seriously difficult. I love my friends and I'm really good at making new ones. I love my family and my friends turn into family rather quickly. However, relationships? Do they have to be so... certain? Or is it simply because I haven't actually met someone that I'm supposed to be with that I'm so damn wishy washy.

There will eventually be a time when I meet someone who complements me and doesn't just compliment me.

2 comments:

  1. Kate: First I want to say I am so very happy for you! (No more banana dances at the DQ) Now for my “motherly” advice, don’t push yourself to fall in love and don’t settle just because you are lonely. You are an amazing woman and you don’t need to settle for less than you deserve (you deserve more than you think you do). If you settle you will end up miserable. Don’t be afraid to take a chance on unconventional. Just because he doesn't fit your perfect idea doesn't mean he can’t be the best thing for you. Be safe! If you really don’t want kids make sure it doesn't happen. You will be in a much larger city- don’t let yourself get black out, high school, white girl drunk. I miss you tons and hope you have an life as amazing as you are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh man! Banana dances! It's been like 10+ years since I've done one of those! No worries, lady. I'll never settle. He'll be right. And when he's right..I won't be so afraid of commitment. I'm sure of it. :)

      Delete