Sunday, August 2, 2015

One Month From Home

It has been a hot minute since I've written anything. I am nearing my first trip home in a year and I have some thoughts on things.

Over the last year I've learned a lot about different things and since I am fond of internet lists... I found that style fitting for this post.

1. Do not ever get annoyed or make comments to someone always staring at their phone. You don't know what that person is looking at or who they are talking to. 90% of the time when I've been "busted" staring at my phone, it's because I'm reading something a friend posted, looking at their pictures, or texting with a friend or family member. I'm not doing it to disregard you. I am doing it to keep in touch with other people in my life.

2. Budget Budget Budget. I never really realized the importance of a budget until I was finally out doing this life thing totally on my own. I get a lot of comments about my lack of financial awareness. "What responsibilities could you possibly have that caused you such financial disrepair?" Well... none. And that's the problem.

3. Spending a lot of time alone doesn't make you lonely. The exact opposite actually. I enjoy time alone because I enjoy time with myself. I can think and say and do literally whatever I want without having to worry about pleasing anyone else. It's really great. I enjoy me. I used to have to have people around me all the time because I really didn't just enjoy "me". But, now that I do... I've found I feel less stressed out and frustrated. And that's the best way to spend a day off.

4. You are you... and I am me. No two people do or say or think or react the same way. One thing doesn't always work for two people and as soon as more people figure this out and start sticking up for themselves, the happier they will become. Don't make someone do something just because it worked for you. Suggest it.. move on.

5. No matter how happy you are somewhere...Go Home. Not like forever, but definitely take trips. I was really incredibly happy here the first 6 months I was here. My happiness has since declined. My homesickness has taken over and it only made me realize that I really need to see my family and friends more than once a year. Analogy: When I first left home I left with a full cup. The cup has slowly been emptied over the year and I've learned that when it gets past that half full point, it's time to pour a little more liquid into it. Letting your glass get less than half full makes it feel less than half empty. Optimism turns to pessimism.

So that's that.

No comments:

Post a Comment