Monday, September 14, 2015

Layover Thoughts

So let's focus on the present shall we? Currently I'm sitting in the Salt Lake City airport heading back to North Carolina.

My heart hurts. I miss my parents already. Maybe the apron strings have always been too tight and maybe I am a huge baby. Maybe I am just extremely fortunate to have the relationship with them that I do.

My mom is my best friend. She is my rock. She is the person who made me who I am. My dad is also my best friend. Also my rock and also made me who I am. My sense of humor is a delightful combination of them both. My stubbornness is definitely from my mom where my spontaneous decisions and unsettling ability to find myself in situations less than ideal is definitely from my dad.

I'm beyond lucky to have two people in my life that I have such an ache to be with. But it's not just those two. I also have two step parents who are amazing humans. Ive known my step dad since I was 15 and he's taught me to trust the good guy. Not everyone has an agenda and not everyone is being nice because they want something from you. Some people are just nice. Same with my stepmom. She has taught me in the short time I've known her that life is a gift and we have to always do things to make us happy. And always do things with a mule or vodka tonic in your hand. Cocktails are not optional.

My brothers are two of my very best friends. They mostly taught me to not put up with assholes and to stand on your own two feet. They almost more than my parents shaped me into the weirdo that I have become.

I am a very lucky girl...one who is coming home to one of the most supportive families a girl can have. I don't regret leaving last year. Leaving only showed to me the importance of family.

Cannot wait to have a few more NC adventures and then head on home to where I left my heart.

2 comments:

  1. I am so happy that you were able to move away and get a feel of the city life. That is something I always wanted to do but never really had the guts. The furthest I made it is just over 100 miles away. I have been gone for 10 years now and I still miss home, Dillon will always be my home. I know I won't go back (unless something catastrophic happens) but that doesn't mean I don't want to. I miss my parents everyday. I hate that they are not seeing their grandson grow. Mom tried to argue with me that he can't be in 2nd grade, she thinks he's only in 1st. She is missing it and it breaks my heart. Now my husband and brother are not speaking so I don't know when I will be back there even just to visit. Don't get married and stay close to your mom and dad, you never know how long you have them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Right back at you Katie! You've taught me that family is all that matters! I love you Tater! I'm lucky to have kids that give me a second........third......fou......ahhh hell, this could go on for a while so let's just say LOTS of chances!

    ReplyDelete